Navbar

Image Map

Monday, May 25, 2015

Organizing the Nursery

Everybody knows that sometimes wonderful things come in small packages.


But sometimes those small packages come with lots and lots of stuff!

I think babies would fit in to that category. 

I took this picture only after our first baby shower.

Yikes.

Thankfully we've come a long way.
Outdoorsy, camping, boy scout nursery
Clearly a lot of organizing has happened.   That's what this post is all about.  How we organized our nursery.

It think our biggest best friend for organizing our nursery were baskets.  There are more baskets in this one room than in any of the other rooms in our home combined.

You already saw how we used some baskets in our bookshelf.
Outdoorsy, camping, boy scout nursery

Currently we are storing blankets in them, but before we know it they will be used to store Legos and cars and and trucks and who knows what else.  

Another basket-heavy area was our changing table.
Outdoorsy, camping, boy scout nursery. Changing Table Organization

Not only did we buy some large baskets that fit perfectly under the changing table,
Outdoorsy, camping, boy scout nursery. Changing Table Organization

we added some to the sides - for smaller items you'd like to have at the ready.
Outdoorsy, camping, boy scout nursery. Changing Table Organization
Really, I just have things placed there -just for now.  I know I will become much more specific about what I'd like stored in there when I'm actually using the space. 
Outdoorsy, camping, boy scout nursery. Changing Table Organization
In addition to the baskets, the buffet we are using as a changing table has great storage in the drawers. 

One of the drawers even had separators.   Currently, I've got hats, socks, and bibs stored in there. 
Outdoorsy, camping, boy scout nursery. Changing Table Organization
 The lower drawer has mostly sleepers and swaddle blankets stored in it for now.

 Last post I also showed you the little caddy we have our burp cloths stored in.
Outdoorsy, camping, boy scout nursery. Burp Cloth organization.
I love it.  It's so handy.... I mean, I'm guessing it's handy, since I haven't really used it yet. 
Outdoorsy, camping, boy scout nursery. Burp Cloth organization.

We also have found some extra storage under the crib.
Outdoorsy, camping, boy scout nursery. Under the Crib Storage
There is quite a bit of space underneath the crib and it just makes sense to utilize it.  
Outdoorsy, camping, boy scout nursery. Under the Crib Storage
So I did.  I have this nylon zipper bin that we got to go in our IKEA closet system.  We weren't using this one and it fit perfectly! I have extra sheets and linens stored under there.

Lastly, the closet.

Outdoorsy, camping, boy scout nursery. Closet Storage
 Lots and lots of storage.

The closet was built with these side shelves that are perfectly sized for these canvas bin cubes.  
Outdoorsy, camping, boy scout nursery. Closet Storage
I bought four in an army green color and glued paper numbers to the faces of them to give them a little bit more pizzazz (because that's a word we don't use enough of these days.)  Outdoorsy, camping, boy scout nursery. Closet Storage Bins

I also bought these great plastic bins that have dry erase labels on the front.  Right now we have a few diapers stored up there as well as clothes he likely won't wear for a year or so.  In the future, I could see us storing toys and other things we want to keep close but out of his reach and hidden.  The labels are great since I'm forgetful and it would be helpful to have a visual reminder without pulling things down as to what is in each bin.
Outdoorsy, camping, boy scout nursery. Closet Storage

I really wanted some sort of clothing organizer to help me differentiate sizes of the clothes hanging in the closet.  So all I did was trace out some circles on some thin cardboard (I used an old cereal box), glued some fun scrapbook paper to it and then made my labels with a Sharpe.  It's super helpful and....free!
Outdoorsy, camping, boy scout nursery. Closet Organization

Then down below, we utilized that space with a cube organizer.  
Outdoorsy, camping, boy scout nursery. Closet Storage
 The organizer and the fabric cubes are also from Target.

And look at this little guy! Isn't he just the happiest?! He's happy because everything has a place and everything is in its place.....
Well.... for now.  I have no illusions that things will look this neat and tidy forever.  And let me be honest, I have some things just thrown in bins with other random items because I didn't know where else to put them.  That will happen too. 



If you missed the full nursery reveal click here



Linked up to: Think & Make Thursday, June Before & After Party


Don't miss a beat.  
{Follow this blog on Bloglovin'}
 http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/8102735/a-nurse-and-a-nerd 

-or-

{Follow this blog via Email}


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say. Questions, comments, advice...Think of this as your invitation to add something to our blog.